Every October the world is painted pink to honor Breast Cancer Awareness Month. It’s that time of year which we acknowledge and support the survivors, fighters and angels. The Susan G. Komen for the Cure® is the leading organization in the fight against breast cancer. Listed below are some steps you can take to stay proactive about your breast health.
Except for skin cancers, breast cancer is the most common cancer in women, but it can be successfully treated. Screening tests can find cancer early, when it’s most treatable.
Susan G. Komen for the Cure® recommends that you:
1. Know your risk
- Talk to your family to learn about your family health history
- Talk to your provider about your personal risk of breast cancer
2. Get screened
- Ask your doctor which screening tests are right for you if you are at a higher risk
- Have a mammogram every year starting at age 40 if you are at average risk
- Have a clinical breast exam at least every 3 years starting at age 20, and every year starting at age 40
3. Know what is normal for you
See your health care provider if you notice any of these breast changes:
- Lump, hard knot or thickening inside the breast or underarm area
- Swelling, warmth, redness or darkening of the breast
- Change in the size or shape of the breast
- Dimpling or puckering of the skin
- Itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple
- Pulling in of your nipple or other parts of the breast
- Nipple discharge that starts suddenly
- New pain in one spot that doesn’t go away
To see illustrations of these warnings signs please visit the Breast Facts section.
4. Make healthy lifestyle choices
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Add exercise into your routine
- Limit alcohol intake
- Limit postmenopausal hormone use
- Breastfeed, if you can
How to do a Self-Exam
Not only is it important to stay healthy, commit to an active lifestyle, and know your risk, but it is also important to be proactive. As women, we should get into the habit of conducting a monthly self exam. Here are the steps:
Here are some ways you can support the fight against breast cancer:
1) Spread awareness by organizing an campus event
3) Purchase merchandise with the pink ribbon logo. A percentage of the proceeds support breast cancer research. Click here for the ShopKomen Store
(Beware of scams. Always ask if you are unsure).
4) Make a monetary donation here
5) Always support the fight against breast cancer all year round.
Do you know a breast cancer survivor, fighter or angel? Share you stories below and let’s continue the fight to eliminate cancer once and for all!